This page presents highlights of major expeditions organized in the past.

2017 – David and Marika

"Due to work circumstances, we set off for a trip to Kilimanjaro during the rainy season – in November. We chose a six-day trek from Machame Gate. On the way we slept in the Machame, Shira, Baranco, Barafu, and Mweka camps. Right on the first day in the rain forest zone, we were washed down by a heavy African downpour. Gore-Tex, raincoats, waterproofing – nothing helped. We were soaked wet.

On the second day we crossed through a strip of tree heathers to reach an area with giant groundsels (Dendrosenecio). The path was extremely steep and in the morning we were dizzy. It was not possible to eat all the food that was served to us. The top of Kilimanjaro seemed to be quite close in the morning of the third day. The edge of its crater was clearly visible. The highest point of that day was the Lava Tower at 4 600 m. We reached it in four hours. After that we hurried down back to camp. The descent was again very steep and we stumbled down the path, which turned into a wild stream in the heavy rain.

The morning of the following day offered us amazing views in all directions. The sun came out from behind the Baranco Wall where the path cuts into a broad ridge. Once we climbed the wall we were rewarded with a view over an endless sea of clouds, with only the peak of Mount Meru rising through. After another three hours we reached the highest base camp. On the fourth day we got up before midnight and put on all the clothes we had. Our guides Bakari and Emmanuel, one Muslim and one Christian, prayed for a successful climb. I felt sick, probably due to nerves, or possibly the altitude or hunger.

One by one we passed three other groups of slowpokes. Suddenly, we were already in the middle of a steep section leading to Stella Point (the edge of the crater). It became necessary to stop more and more often to take a breath. The trail got steeper and steeper until I got the impression that we were walking up vertically. It seemed that if it got any steeper, the whole mountain would fall over. I kept looking up. Where’s that bloody Stella Point? The higher we got, the harder and colder it became. But we could not give up, not now that we were so high. Finally, we reached Stella Point (5 756 m) and admired the orange-purple colors on the horizon – the first signs of the rising sun. Gorgeous! Only 700 meters left to the top, with 150 meters of altitude to climb. We set off with fresh hope. After six hours of walking we reach the summit of Kilimanjaro (5 895 m), and we were there all alone…

We descended down Machame Route to Barafu camp. The sun was up and it got warmer. We were finally able to see the trail and it looked quite insane. At the camp we thanked both Emmanuel and Bakari for their support and for setting the right pace, and then fell into our tent dead tired. On the morning of the last day right after packing, our porters started running down through the jungle, something forcing them towards the lowlands, while our aching knees forced us to adopt a much slower pace."


Monkey in the jungle Uhuru Peak Saying goodbye

2016 – Petr's Group

"At the end of February 2016 our group of eight men from Brno and Prague, mostly around forty, set off to Tanzania and Kenya to conquer several peaks, including the highest point in Africa - Kilimanjaro. This trip was a birthday present that I gave to myself as I turned 70. A half a year in advance I contacted a Tanzanian guide, Bakari Mwanyika, by email, who surprised me pleasantly with his web pages in the Czech language, and later with good organization of transfers, porters, accommodations, as well as good food.

We started our expedition accompanied by an armed ranger in the Arusha National Park with a three-day acclimatization ascent to Mount Meru (4 565 m). Then a climb of Kilimanjaro followed. We chose the five-day Marangu Route that starts at a gate of the same name at an altitude of 1 700 m. Early morning on the fourth day our whole group succeeded in climbing the highest summit - Uhuru Peak 5 895 m. On the same day we made the endless descent back to Kibo Hut (4 720 m), and after a short break to Horombo Hut (3 700 m), i.e. 24 km in total and an elevation difference of 1.2 km climbing up, and 2.2 km going down. The following day it was the last 18 km through Mandara Hut back to the Marangu entrance gate, where the guides prepared for us a simple ceremony during which we were given diplomas and the traditional “Jambo bwana” song was performed.

The following day we made an extremely long transfer of 520 km from Moshi through Nairobi to Naro Moru at the foot of Mount Kenya. The following morning I was feeling weak due to a cold, so instead of going with the others for a three-day climb to Point Lenana (4 995 m), I stayed together with one of the other group members in a hostel. We made a trip to the Equator in Nanyuki, visited Thomson´s Waterfalls in Nyahururu and Lake Naivasha, the second largest in Kenya, where we had a romantic boat ride amongst hippos and birds. Our successful expedition was concluded by a day-long visit of Istanbul on the way back."


Fig tree tunnel Summit of Mount Meru

2016 – Bakari in Europe

"This year a group of my clients helped me to make a trip to Europe. I received an official invitation, and when I arrived in Prague it turned out that they prepared for me a very busy and interesting program. Apart from Prague, I visited for instance Brno, Vienna, Lednice, České Budějovice, Český Krumlov, and Dresden. The busy program included trips in the countryside, cycling, rock climbing, visiting museums, weight-lifting in a gym, a boat trip and watching ballet. Without their generous help I would have never had such an experience. Thanks to them I managed to make my dream come true."


In Mahen Theatre in Brno

2014 - Ivan's group

"In July 2014 we went to Kenya and Tanzania for a three-week holiday and Bakari organized the whole stay for us. We were a group of 9 people, members of the "Tourist Academic Club" in Prague. Based on our requirements and Bakari's comments and recommendations, we produced a schedule and then he organized our treks, transport and accommodation, as well as services provided by other agencies, e.g. safari. We spent 5 days in NP Mt. Kenya, where we climbed Point Lenana, followed by 2 days in NP Aberdare. In Tanzania we climbed Kilimanjaro – our main goal. Bakari, as a licensed guide organized the whole 5-day trek and lead all of us successfully to the top. We also climbed Ol Doinyo Lengai, the only active volcano in Eastern Africa."

Uhuru Peak Point Lenana